Day 7 & 8 Lake Superior Provincial Park
Into every life a little rain must fall. Our first full day in Superior and A LOT of rain fell, and it was cold! We spent many years tent camping and loving it. We have switched to a bit of a glamping situation, and I am never more thankful than on days like this! The rain poured at times. The thunder rumbled across the lake and the temperature dropped until we played around the single digit mark. We were cozy and warm inside our little trailer. I finished my book, made great headway with my crochet and when Jonathan and Jenna came to visit, we played games, dry and warm! I love to cook outside. I love to wash my dishes at the picnic table. I am still very attached to my camping roots. On days like this though, forget that nonsense. All meal preparations, cooking, eating and cleaning are all from my cozy, dry and warm, well-equipped trailer.
Day 7 hardly seemed worth its own post so, moving on to Day
8…we woke this morning to glorious sunshine and rapidly rising temperatures. After
breakfast we set out to explore our first hiking trail. We discovered that we
were not the only creatures that hid out yesterday. Apparently, the mosquitos
and blackflies also went into hiding, but they did not have a cozy trailer for
food prep! Today they are ravenous!! We didn’t make it 500 feet down the path
before unanimously deciding this was NOT worth it and retreated to the car. We
suspected the Coastal Trail might be a better choice since even the slight wind
off the water may be enough to keep those blood thirsty beast under control! Certainly
true as it happens, but getting to the trail with Nola presented a bit of a
challenge.
As I was clambering forward looking for a path, I managed to
step on a small, round piece of tree and twisted my ankle. It could have been
much worse I suppose, but keeping a stiff upper lip and continuing on despite the
pain quickly moved into the “dumb idea” territory! As much as I didn’t want to
ruin anyone else’s hike, we had all travelled together. Not only is Lake
Superior big, Lake Superior Provincial Park is also very big, and making my way
back to our campground on my own was not an option.
Back at the site with an iced and elevated foot, resigned to
at least some rest and restriction. I managed to convince Jonathan and Jenna to
go back to adventuring. David refused to leave me alone. While it wasn’t the
day we had planned, it was far from unpleasant! I hope I am back up and going
before long but suspect that is very much more likely with a little rest. Our
CLAM to the rescue again as I spent the afternoon reading, crocheting with
maybe a wee nap thrown in, safe from the ravenous creatures insisting on a
blood donation. The lake is steps from the door, so the view was spectacular. My
manservant saw that I had everything I needed and hopefully a day of rest means
a speedy recovery!
I managed an after dinner stroll without any significant pain
and still managed 7,000 steps for the day according to Fitbit. Certainly not a high-performance
day but not bad considering!







Comments
Post a Comment