Day 30 Grasslands National Park

Today the forecast offered 10o cooler than yesterday. However, 10o cooler than 39o is still way too hot for this hiker. We set out early this morning and finished our hiking before 11:00. Grasslands is one of those rare places where “Keep off the grass” signs are replaced with a sentiment to hike at will, safely and respectfully. We are confident that we have both of those skillsets in hand, so we set out on foot from the campground this morning, hoping to climb a butte and hike along the flat top.

The climb was a bit strenuous even in the early morning heat, but we were all up to the task. With an occasional water stop, and an occasional pause to remove cactus needles from socks and shoes, we were generously rewarded with spectacular views as we walked across the summit. Flora and fauna abound here on the higher plateau, just like they do on the valley floor. We can notice a distinct difference in the crunch underfoot though after two days of relentless heat. It’s no wonder that wildfires threaten the prairies. It certainly appears as if it would take little to set off a blaze that could rage out of control easily. There are no campfires, nor even open cooking fires allowed. The traditional campfire experience here is led weekly by the park staff with a propane fire and controlled height flame. Much more difficult of course to control the effects of lightning, but you do what you can.

The roads through the park just weave through the landscape
We had climbed most of the way up and I stopped to look back at our camp.
As far as the eye can see, and then the prairie continues after that!
Some rolling, hilly sections

Scarlet mallow tenaciously growing at the top of the butte
So much cactus
We had see these Swift Foxes at various point along the hike. They were fast when they thought we spotted them and would head into a den, or disappear in one of the folds in the valley. I saw one disappear into a den, and let the others continue on down the rise. I sat at the top, partially hidden, camera ready. My patience paid off! He popped his head out to see if I was still there, and because I had already set my focus - I got the picture! National Geographic here I come 😂
That's my hiking buddies at the bottom by the time I appeared at the edge.
A deer vertebra along the trail!
Goat's Beard seed head. They're very big! Way bigger than the flower.

The heat of the day had us back to reading, game playing and sorting pictures, and it was a perfect afternoon to do that. As the wind picked up and the storm clouds once again moved across the sky, the temperature came back down. It wasn’t raining yet so we took advantage of the time to walk around the campground and stretch our legs. Jonathan and Jenna had chatted with Rhonda and Dale today and learned that Rhonda (she’s a faithful follower!) was hoping for a picture of burrowing owls in the blog. Never one not to honour a request, we set out immediately. I had some pictures, but they weren’t great. We had seen lots of them, so we knew where to go. With a little patience and a specific goal I was able to fulfill the request! Rhonda gave us Jenna – anything for you Rhonda!

Finally caught the prairie dogs kissing 💓
A dinner date?
Here is a burrowing owl Rhonda!
Just for perspective. The prairie dogs are tiny, but the owls are tinier!
A mom and a baby peeking out of the burrow.

Comments

  1. I had never heard of a borrowing owl! Nature is so cool!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 45 Thunder Bay (again)

Day 14 Thunder Bay

Day 43 Winnipeg (again)