Day 36 Waterton Lakes National Park
The mountains are calling, and I must go according to John Muir. I certainly heard the call this morning when I opened the door to brilliant sunshine. Poor David, we believe has been bitten by a chigger! They are nasty little things and can cause an allergic reaction. We gave him Benadryl last night after we finished driving but, as we learned during cancer treatments, he really reacts to Benadryl and was out of it for most of the evening. Today we tried Claritin and that seemed to settle it enough to get him out to enjoy his day. Now the other thing that David does not enjoy is heights. Yes, I know, we are hiking in the mountains! There are so many trails here and so much to see that it won’t really be a problem, except…the first trail we chose this morning was a narrow path along the side of a mountain. It wasn’t immediately apparent, so we were a bit along before I suggested we turn back. It was clear he wasn’t enjoying it. He is usually a pretty good sport, but the irritation of bites was about as much as he could tolerate. We sent Jonathan and Jenna on their way, and we came down off the mountainside. As I said, so many options here it isn’t really a problem and we spent the rest of our day hiking, wandering, driving, exploring… how blessed we are that we can have a day’s plan derailed and have an absolutely marvelous day that we would never have had if we stuck to Plan A! Blessed as we are, we could still do without this horrible, blistering, rash!
After our adventures and Jonathan’s and Jenna’s 10km hike up
a mountain, we all came back for an afternoon nap! The evening was so beautiful
we couldn’t resist going back to do another hike. This time the Prince of Wales
trail led us from the hamlet of Waterton on a trail that brought us spectacular
views of Waterton Lakes and the surrounding mountains and peaks. Countless
wildlife encounters (including grizzlies!), and wildflowers galore. I can’t
help but realize, had we been here before the last wildfire, we would have
experienced a very different National Park. The profusion of Saskatoon berries,
fireweed and other wildflowers that have taken hold here is simple beautiful.
The bright green, two-foot pines that are emerging among the scared and barren
trunks of mature trees destroyed by the fires, are sure a tangible sign of nature’s
resilience, and the tenacity of hope. Just like today did not unfold as
planned, this incredible landscape has also had to change and adapt! Change
means loss, but it also offers incredible new opportunities!
Comments
Post a Comment